ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:54:46 EDT
1. "Maine placed on probation for four years" is the title of the major
   article.  This is far and away the best description of the major
   violations and penalties that I've seen.

   It doesn't answer some of the questions on penalties that have been
   raised and leaves out some information such as the fact that though
   the football team was penalized 13 scholarships for next year, many
   of those would be scholarships that would not have been used by Maine
   anyway.

   (I think) strangely, the report says that Maine and the head
   men's ice hockey coach may appeal, yet the only sanctions on Walsh
   were given by Maine and now "adopted" by the NCAA.  Why was Walsh
   mentioned, but not coaches of the other 10 sports affected?

   Point your web browser to

         http://www.ncaa.org/news/960819/active/3330N13.html

   for the complete story.

2. "Maine to keep title" basically reported what we already know:
   Mrs. Dunham made a good-faith effort to abide by the rules and was
   led astray by USA Hockey.  This was not condoned, but the NCAA "did
   not believe it warranted requiring the institution to vacate its
   championship".

   Point your web browser to

         http://www.ncaa.org/news/960819/active/3330N17.html

   for the complete story.

Yours in Maine hockey (Drop the Puck!),

Wayne T. Smith                         Systems Group -- CAPS
[log in to unmask]                    University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3