ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 22:11:36 -0400
Hi folks..

Another NCAA Committee on Infractions decision out today which leads
me to believe that the decision on Maine is around the corner.

If you remember in a previous post I compared Maine's violations to
penalties and violations imposed on New Mexico State.  Another
interesting twist today.  Remember, just because the NCAA decides
this way in these cases doesn't mean Maine will get the same
treatment, but being that the same committee will release their
decision on Maine it does help to get a frame of reference they might
be thinking.

The University of Texas Pan-Am was placed on four years probation
today by the NCAA.. I was not clear as to whether any of the involved
post-season sanctions.

However the interesting part falls under the coach of the UTPA
basketball program, Mark Adams.

Adams was accused of violating NCAA ethical standards by talking
about the investigations against orders of the NCAA and providing
false information to the NCAA.  Sound a little like Shawn Walsh to
anyone else?

UTPA originally suspended Adams (like Walsh) but Adams sued the
University and was instated.  However in their decision today the
NCAA did not impose any sanctions on Adams.

The parallel in this situation is erie, and I would venture to say
Maine penalized Walsh more harsh than UTPA, so it's not beyond
possibility to suggest that the NCAA will not ban Walsh.  I'm not
sure what other sanctions the NCAA can impose on a coach aside from
further suspension or banishment.

So far in two recent decisions by this committee it's very intersting
to see how they operate.  In both cases the NCAA has opted for
longer-probation periods to watch over the institutional control of
these programs, both of whom had similar problems as Maine, but also
involved some form of academic tampering or fraud.  Today's decision
seems to corraborate sources that tell me it's not a foregone
conclusion that Walsh will be banned.

There are some differences that make this significantly less of a
black and white discussion.  While Maine's violations parallel these
institutions I'd be willing to suggest that Maine's violations
outnumber New Mexico State and UTPA, but it's possible that Maine's
lack of violations with regards to academics could make that a wash.

This was not the first time UTPA has been sanctioned, and this is
Maine's first trip.. something seemingly in Maine's favor, but could
also be washed by the fact Maine is a powerhouse in a different
sport, and they could be made to be the example.

It's all very interesting, but I would not be surprised to see a
decision within two weeks.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine