ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 1996 22:09:54 -0400
In Maine's annual scrimmage, the Blue squad defeated the White team
by a score of 4-2.

Unfortunately I did not take notes, but here it is from memory (sorry
the times do escape me):

Blue/White Scrimmage
Sat. Oct. 12, Alfond Arena, Orono

BLUE- 1-1-2-- 4
WHITE-0-0-2-- 2

FIRST PERIOD:

BLUE- Shawn Wansborough (Jason Price, Cory Larose) PPG

SECOND PERIOD:

BLUE- Shawn Wansborough (unassited)

THIRD PERIOD:

BLUE- David Cullen (Dan Shermerhorn) SHG
WHITE- Matt Oliver (Steve Kariya)
WHITE- Brian White (Trevor Roenick)
BLUE- Reg Cardinal (Dan Shermerhorn) ENG

GOALTENDERS:

Alfie Michaud (first 30:00 for Blue, 0 goals allowed)
              (second 30:00 for White, 2 goals allowed)
Bryan Masotta (20:00 for White, 1 goal allowed)
Javier Gorriti (10:00 for White, 0 goals allowed)
               (10:00 for Blue, 0 goals allowed)
Ed Washuk     (20:00 for Blue, 2 goals allowed)

Shots:  32 each

COMMENTS:

It's always hard to try and rate a game like this, because neither
side is at it's best with the squads split, but I'll throw out some
of my thoughts and we can discuss them as the opening date with
Michigan draws near.

One of the largest questions coming into this season is Maine's
goaltending, with the loss of Allison and Marsh from last year's
team.  Alfie Michaud was greeted with a warm response tonight, and
played well.  We've heard a lot of positive things about Michaud, and
considering he was only recently cleared to practice I think he did
well.

If I have one complaint at this point, it is that he goes down too
often and too much.  Perhaps it is because I have grown to see
Allison's stand-up style.  Michaud is right on target on the first
shot.  He only allowed two goals and played 60 minutes of hockey.
The first goal was Wansborough's goal, and Michaud had a hard time
seeing it, the second goal was Shermerhorn and Cullen on a 2-on-1
shorthanded, Cullen one-timed it by Michaud.  Both goals were good.

While Michaud will be "the man", don't be surprised to see RPI
transfer Brian Masotta in there for some playing time.  In Masotta's
20 minutes tonight, he played solid allowing one goal but making some
quality saves.  He should be Michaud's backup.

The other key will be the defense depleated by graduation and
defection.  Like I said above Michaud looked good on the initial
shot, and *most* times both Blue and White squads did a good job
respectively clearing out rebounds and tying people up.  This will be
so important this season.

Overall I don't have too many gripes about the defense at all.
Overall they were pretty tight.  Shawn Mansoff did a great job
considering he just got clearance to play.  There are no glaring
mistakes that stick in my mind, and when you are talking about
defense that's a good thing.  There were some minor miscues here and
there, but that is to be expected so early.

Brian White, Jeff Libby and David Cullen stick in my mind as the best
offensive defensemen.  White and Cullen both scored, but all three
were agressive offensively.  Who will step in to fill the role of
Tory and Clark remains to be seen, but Cullen looked the best to me
out there.

Up front there is no question Maine's best line tonight was Cory
Larose centering Shawn Wansborough and Jason Price (BLUE).  All
three of these guys are very talented offensively, and if Greg
Cronin keeps them together they could be an exciting line to watch.
Wansborough scored twice, but Price and Larose had many chances and
also seemed to have a good feel for the net.

Dan Shermerhorn and Reg Cardinal were especially strong for Blue,
especially defensively and short-hand.  Both teams had several
power-plays, especially in an erratic first period, but Blue had the
better penalty kill.

The best individual player for White might have been Steve Kariya.
In my view Kariya was the fastest player out there, and seemed to be
breaking with the puck and setting the table all night.  I can see
Kariya possibily filling the role left by Lovell, and perhaps playing
the point on the power-play.

Scott Parmentier played well up front for White, as did Bobby Stewart.

We can talk more next week about what this team will need to do to
beat Michigan next Friday, but I was encouraged at what I saw this
evening.  I think all Maine fans have tried to keep expectations low
after the defections and NCAA problems.  The Hockey East coaches have
picked Maine 4th, and others have picked them lower.  Hard to say
what this team will do, but they will surprise some people.

Let's hear from some other people who were there.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Editor, US College Hockey Online
USCHO:  http://www.uscollegehockey.com