ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:22:39 EDT
Although Deron's quotes of Coach Cronin from the BDN don't show it,
isn't anyone else sick of the Maine coach whining in the media about
rerecruiting?  What happened to the days when Maine coaches reminded us
that we recruit top-notch players and must expect that they may leave
for the pros early or compete with special amateur teams, as Tory and
Allison have chosen.  (Congratulations Jeff and Blair;  I wish you good
luck with your Canadian National tryout, yet hope for your return to
play for Maine someday soon!)

On a separate issue ...

At least one of the secondary violations listed in the NCAA register,
referred to by Mike Machnik earlier today, appears to be from Maine and
with the current athletic department administration (December 95).  That
makes at least 2 secondary violations last Fall.  Maybe those calls for
down-grading Maine sports to Division II make more than a little sense?
If we can't find the resources for a high-quality program, why are we
there?

Also in the current NCAA Register article ...  Maine apparently has the
option of taking the TV blackout this season or next, depending on
pre-existing contracts.  If Maine can work with the TV network(s) to get
out of this season's contract(s), I hope they do just that.  (The only
TV exemptions appear to be <5 minute clips and "closed circuit" (Bylaw
19.6.2.5.1)).

P.S.  The NCAA Register article is much expanded from the summary in the
      previous NCAA News.  However, don't read it before sitting down
      for a meal unless you're trying to lose weight...  :-(

DROP THE PUCK Saturday night at midnight, October 5, for Midnight Madness.
wayne

Wayne T. Smith                         Systems Group -- CAPS
[log in to unmask]                    University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3