ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Vic Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:38:27 -0400
statements  referring to the absense of some kind of a review or mention in
both CHUSA and the Star Tribune on the  Pre-Season Faceoff between BU and MN
were totally justified as a reader and college hockey fan. Also, I was
referring to the THIS WEEK section, which carried the CC headline. By the
way, I now see that you have included the BU/MN Faceoff in the THIS WEEK
section. In regard to Dave inferring that I thought your projection of game
outcome was biased, I merely mentioned that the game was predicted 5-3 MN
over BU. I never called it a biased prediction. I was simply using the
prediction of outcome to show what we all should know and this example proves
that predictions and reputations don't always fill the bill in the final
analysis. Your job is to predict and that's OK, but of course you know, and
as readers we know that you will not always be on target. As far as Deron's
comment that this was only an exhibtion game, I think any game between two
such talented teams at the top of their conference is always an important
game. According to the Telecast Commentary done on MSC sport's channel, they
referred to this game as one that was being taken fairly seriously by the
coachs, who had already agreed that the game wouldn't count in their season
stats. BU looked more game ready than MN. MN actually had one more week of
practice time. Of course this one game is not the single determining factor
of either teams' final season outcome. When I mentioned media control that
was obviously stated in reference to the Star Tribune which by the way
carried nothing on the game either Sunday or Monday. I think that reaks of
partiality as does Frank Mazzocco's commentary which is now up in the THIS
WEEK section of College Hockey Online. But, of course he's the voice of the
Gophers so that doesn't surprise me. And, maybe the Star Tribune ran out of
space for their # 1 college draw team in the state.
And the list of intangibles could go on..............
I went to that game in my MAINE JERSEY to rout for MN - of course. My
partiality is toward MAINE, in relation to other teams I'm a fairly impartial
broad.........I call it as I see it not as I feel it........
Vic Price