ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:46:26 EST
Each week I write a preview of all the Hockey East games for US College
Hockey Online.

Here is my preview of Maine's upcoming series.  You can check out the
preview of all the games by going to the "News and Articles" section at:

        http://www.uscollegehockey.com

University of Alabama-Huntsville (1-0-0) at Maine (2-1-0)
Friday, and Saturday 7 p.m., Alfond Arena, Orono, ME

The Black Bears needed three third-period goals to catch Colgate
4-3 last week.  Coach Greg Cronin found fault with two specific
aspects of his team's play.  "They bottled us up at times in our
own zone.  We've got to get better at moving it out of there.

"And our special teams was an abortion."  The Black Bears gave up
three power-play goals in only four Red Raider opportunities,
while they could only ring up a single man-advantage tally
themselves in six chances.

Although most fans instinctively write off a Division II
opponent, Cronin does not share their casual dismissal.  "I hate
these type of games.  You're expected to win and win big.  But
they come up here totally enthusiastic about playing us and go at
it with nothing to lose.

"We don't know much about them.  So we're going to worry about
our team, especially our specialty teams."

The University of Alabama-Huntsville is not just any Division II
team.  They are the D-II national champions, posting an
undefeated 26-0-3 record last year.  When they beat Penn State
15-0 to open this year's season, they stretched their winning
streak to 35 games.

The Charters graduated four of last year's D-II All-Americans as
well as five of their six defensemen.  Returning players include
honorable mention All-American Tony Guzzo (13 goals and 39
assists for 52 points), K.C. Schneider (16-8-24), Jamie Baby
(8-14-22), and Eric Bilyeu (11-10-21).

Forward Ty Hartigan and defenseman Jim Alauria and Mark Motowski
transferred to UAH from the deceased UIC program; fellow transfer
defenseman Jason Mucciarone arrived from Elmira College.

UAH has shown in the past that they could steal a game or two
from their D-I brethren.  Three years ago they split a series
with Merrimack; two years ago they beat Ohio State 4-3.

Can they do it again?

Don't count on it.  Maine is stronger than both of
the D-I teams UAH beat.  They could scare the potentially
complacent Black Bears for two periods on Friday, but it will
stop there.

PICK:  Maine 5-3 and 5-0.

Dave Hendrickson   [log in to unmask]
Hockey East writer for US College Hockey Online
        http://www.uscollegehockey.com