ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 1996 14:26:01 -0400
The following article appeared in Thursday's Bangor Daily News:

FROSH TO START IN MAINE NET
Challenge of new level suits Michaud
by Larry Mahoney, Of the BDN Staff

ORONO - For the past three seasons, the University of Maine's goal
crease has served as Blair's Lair.

Blair Allison had been Maine's starting goalie with Blair Marsh
backing him up and also seeing some playing time.

Both have departed so the new kid between the pipes will be
19-year-old Alfie Michaud.  He is already looking forward to the
oppotunity, which will begin with the opening Midnight Madness
practice on Saturday night-Sunday morning.

"I can't wait," said Michaud at Wednesday's Maine hockey meida day at
Alfond Arena.  "This is what I wanted:  a chance to play.  And I have
it this year, that's for sure.  There will be a lot of pressure.  But
I'm just going to go out and play my game and not not worry about
anything else.

"Challenges make people tick.  That's what I want," added the
5-foot-10, 175-pound Michaud, a native of Selkirk, Manitoba, who was
25-16-2 with a 2.85 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage
for the Lebret Eagles in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League last
season.

The Maine players have confidence in him.

"I haven't seen him play [in a game] but back home, I talked to a lot
of guys who have played against him and they told me he's one of they
best goalies they had ever played against," said Maine senior winger
Reg Cardinal.  "He has a big spot to fill but I'm sure he'll do a
good job.  He has worked hard during dry land training."

Bear senior center Dan Shermerhorn said assistant coach Grant
Standbrook is impressed by Michaud.

"He's from the same league as [Boston College goalie] Greg Taylor,"
Shermerhorn said.  "Greg was able to step in and do an adequate job
at BC.  Hopefully, with our systems and the way we play defensive
hockey, we'll give him more support than Greg got."

"He can have a big year," added Shermerhorn.  "I have confidence in
him.  He's very relaxed and has a very positive attitude.  He knows
what's on his shoulders.  I hope he doesn't crack under pressure and
can just make the big saves.  Grant will help him with his technique.
 He'll only get better."

Michaud describes himself as a [Toronto Maple Leafs goalie] Felix
Potvin-style of goalie.

"I like to come out and challenge.  I have a lot of speed and I try
to use it to my advantage," said Michaud.

His biggest adjustment will be to the speed of college hockey, he
said.

"Everything is tic-tac-toe [passing and shooting] so I've got to work
on my agility," said Michaud.  "I've also got to talk [to my
teammates] in front of my net and I've always go to be aware because
the game is so fast."

Michaud is anxious to work with Standbrook and the feeling is mutual.

"When you look at the goalies he's coached, his credentials are
unbelievable," said Michaud.  "He's one of the main reasons I came
here.  I know I'm going to advance with him helping me."

Among Standbrook's former pupils are New York Ranger goalie Mike
Richter, Philadelphia Flyer goalie Garth Snow, and New Jersey's Mike
Dunham.  Matt DelGuidice (Boston) and Scott King (Detroit) also some
some limited NHL playing time.

"Alfie was teh best goalie I saw in North America last year," said
Standbrook.  "He's a very good athlete and that's a good starting
point."

Maine interim head coach Greg Cronin has never seen Michaud play but
said he trusts Standbrook's assessment.

"Grant feels very comfortable with him and Grant has had a great
history with goalies," said Cronin.  "The key work is consistency.
It's a team game and we've got to be able to play good enough defense
so that he's not facing over 25 shots every game.  If we can limit
teams to 20-25 shots a game, he'll be fine."

Cronin also said as long as Michaud doesn't kick rebounds into the
prime scoring areas, "he won't have to face second shots because our
guys will tie them up and block out."

Cronin, whose Bears limited opponents to an average of 26.8 shots per
game last season, said if Michaud can register a save percentage in
the .870-.880 range, "we'll be fine."

Michaud will be backed up by junior Javier Gorriti, a transfer from
Salem State and freshman Ed Weshuk of Augusta's Cony High School.

-30-