ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 12:04:27 EDT
Deron replied, in part..
>I disagree with Wayne about giving congratulations to these players.
>Had Tory and Allison simply decided to go tryout for the Canadian
>National team I would be the first to applaude them, wish them well
>and be proud they were there.  But since both publically stated they
>would return, and both talked about loyalty to the program and
>letting down their teammates et al , and THEN both decided to change
>their mind anyways I think it shows a lack of character.

I think it just shows that they were being pressured by their coach
and probably the media to made a decision and announce it.

>Let's look at Allison's words the other day (Friday was it?).
>
>"I could have played for my country against world class competition.
>It was a chance to see the world for free, but I feel more comfortable
>at Maine.  I've got a good situation at Maine.  Coming back is in my
>best interest.  There's a little more I want to accomplish here.  I
>want to get my marketting degree and finish what we started."
>
>"We can't count on [winning] the appeal.  It's an unfortunate
>situation but we have to make the best of it.  We have to try and
>bring back the pride of Maine hockey and the tradition.  We've got to
>work hard and not do anything to disrespect the program.  Most of the
>guys are coming back and we want to prove that we have a good team."

Sounds pretty weak, doesn't it?  I can hear Sather and friends saying
"You can play a meaningless season with a beleagered team this season or
you can tour the world and play for your country".  They need have *no*
disrespect for their Maine coaches or teammates or fans, but such an
opportunity is very special.  They still haven't decided to leave Maine,
but simply to explore their options.  I still wish them well, and as a
friend just wrote in private mail, hope they get their degrees someday.

>> Also in the current NCAA Register article ... Maine apparently has
>> the option of taking the TV blackout this season or next, depending
>> on pre-existing contracts.  If Maine can work with the TV network(s)
>> to get out of this season's contract(s), I hope they do just that.
>> (The only TV exemptions appear to be <5 minute clips and "closed
>> circuit" (Bylaw 19.6.2.5.1)).
>
>Maine has worked this out already and will not be on TV.  The Maine
>Broadcasting System and UMaine have worked out an agreement to cover
>UMaine sports, and no hockey games are in this year's schedule.

Yes, I just heard this, too. Maine Broadcasting will do 5 B-ball games.

>> DROP THE PUCK Saturday night at midnight, October 5, for Midnight
>> Madness.
>
>Saturday at midnight eh?  I thought it was Sunday, did they change
>this?

Well, you arrive at the arena on Saturday night and the team takes the
ice *real*early* on Sunday morning.  This according to a schedule posted
a couple of months ago by Jim Baines and "confirmed" by some others.

No classes the next morning ...  let's rock the place!

Yours in college hockey,
wayne

Wayne T. Smith                         Systems Group -- CAPS
[log in to unmask]                    University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3