ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 11:47:11 -0400
On  4 Sep 96 at 10:22, Wayne Smith wrote:

> Although Deron's quotes of Coach Cronin from the BDN don't show it,
> isn't anyone else sick of the Maine coach whining in the media about
> rerecruiting?  What happened to the days when Maine coaches reminded
> us that we recruit top-notch players and must expect that they may
> leave for the pros early or compete with special amateur teams, as
> Tory and Allison have chosen.  (Congratulations Jeff and Blair;  I
> wish you good luck with your Canadian National tryout, yet hope for
> your return to play for Maine someday soon!)

Although Wayne didn't say this per se, I think he brings up a
question I had and that is, "Would this have happened if Walsh (not
Cronin) was in charge?"

This doesn't just apply to Tory and Allison, but to Lovell, and to a
degree Mahoney.

In some ways I feel bad for Cronin, because I think he's tried his
best to keep this team together.  However Cronin may also be part of
the reason why it's easy for some of these players to leave.  That
doesn't answer the Lovell question, because Lovell got along well
with Cronin, but others did not.  I have no evidence to say that Tory
or Allison felt this way, but it was public knowledge that Mahoney
and Cronin had some run-ins at practices.

Cronin has also been said to be a "rah-rah" type of coach, and by his
comments one can suggest that a big part of Cronin's platform to keep
UMaine intacted was "loyalty to the program", obviously pro contracts
do mean more to Tory and Allison than loyality.  I'm not saying
that's wrong, but it is true.  Glen Sather and Marc Crawford got
Allison and Tory to change their mind by saying the NHL looks highly
upon the national team players (BDN, 09/04).

I know what Wayne's getting at here and he's right.  The possible
problem might be that Maine might not be getting the top players
anymore, and that might be why it's more important to keep the
current players.

I disagree with Wayne about giving congratulations to these players.
Had Tory and Allison simply decided to go tryout for the Canadian
National team I would be the first to applaude them, wish them well
and be proud they were there.  But since both publically stated they
would return, and both talked about loyalty to the program and
letting down their teammates et al , and THEN both decided to change
their mind anyways I think it shows a lack of character.

Let's look at Allison's words the other day (Friday was it?).

"I could have played for my country against world class competition.
It was a chance to see the world for free, but I feel more comfortable
at Maine.  I've got a good situation at Maine.  Coming back is in my
best interest.  There's a little more I want to accomplish here.  I
want to get my marketting degree and finish what we started."

"We can't count on [winning] the appeal.  It's an unfortunate
situation but we have to make the best of it.  We have to try and
bring back the pride of Maine hockey and the tradition.  We've got to
work hard and not do anything to disrespect the program.  Most of the
guys are coming back and we want to prove that we have a good team."

So here we are Wednesday, and Allison is leaving.  If he wanted to
leave, if Tory wanted to leave, then that's terrific, but to make
comments like the above and then turn around and leave anyways
doesn't deserve congratulations from Maine fans IMHO.

> On a separate issue ...
>
> At least one of the secondary violations listed in the NCAA
> register, referred to by Mike Machnik earlier today, appears to be
> from Maine and with the current athletic department administration
> (December 95).  That makes at least 2 secondary violations last
> Fall.  Maybe those calls for down-grading Maine sports to Division
> II make more than a little sense? If we can't find the resources for
> a high-quality program, why are we there?

There was an editorial in one paper either this weekend or last week
which said we can't support a Division I athletics program with a
Division III tax-base.  This was an interesting argument, one which
I hadn't heard before.  People have been calling for Division II,
because of lack of resources but people rarely mention why the
resources are what they are.  Does anyone have any more details on
this editorial?

> Also in the current NCAA Register article ... Maine apparently has
> the option of taking the TV blackout this season or next, depending
> on pre-existing contracts.  If Maine can work with the TV network(s)
> to get out of this season's contract(s), I hope they do just that.
> (The only TV exemptions appear to be <5 minute clips and "closed
> circuit" (Bylaw 19.6.2.5.1)).

Maine has worked this out already and will not be on TV.  The Maine
Broadcasting System and UMaine have worked out an agreement to cover
UMaine sports, and no hockey games are in this year's schedule.

> DROP THE PUCK Saturday night at midnight, October 5, for Midnight
> Madness.

Saturday at midnight eh?  I thought it was Sunday, did they change
this?
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Old Town, Maine