ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:50:11 -0500
Uh oh, it's the UNH guy again...

> Dave Hendrickson wrote:
> >
> > Where BU is the strongest is on defense.  Most of the defenses
> > around the league are younger this year and show that
> > inexperience.  BU's blueliners are the only group in Hockey East
> > that I'd consider "strong" this year.
> >

> I'm not sure that BU's defense is "strong".  It may be the best part
> of their team this year but overall I think they (like UNH) is
> overrated (as reflected by the College Hockey polls).

I have to agree with Dave.  BU does have a very strong defense this year when
compared to prior BU teams that featured a strong defense but an exceptional
offense.  I won't get into the D of every Hockey East team, but UNH is an
example of what Dave was saying.  There's the #1 or 2 offense in the country
(depending on where you look) with contributions from all the classes, but the
D is largely dependent on the freshman and sophomores.  The only senior on the
UNH blue line is Tim Murray and then you're into Juniors Eric Johnson and
Fitzgerald.  The rest of the UNH D is comprised of freshman and sophomores --
a large part of UNH's woes last year.  I think that's just one example of
where Dave was going.

As far as the polls go, they're only polls.  Kevin mentioned that he thought
BU and UNH were somewhat over-rated, especially given UNH's 2-4 record in the
new year.  Given that Vermont was #1 in the RPI the last time I checked, I
guess it's a little surprising that they aren't ranked higher in the polls.
Looking at BU vs. NoDak, it looks like NoDak would have the edge, but did BU
beat NoDak at NoDak, or did they tie and lose?  That could be the difference
there.  I think UNH's ranking is based a little on reputation at this point.
I was surprised that a tie with Lowell actually helped in one poll, but then
again Lowell is in third in Hockey East and I guess it's not that bad to split
with the team on your heals.  UNH has a win and a loss to Vermont, a win over
CC, a thumping and an OT loss to BU, and a big loss to Clarkson who wasn't in
the top ten.  UNH is holding their own against top ten competition and still
sit at 17-6.  Isn't that the second or third best record in the nation?  And I
believe UNH has the second-toughest schedule in the country this year (can
someone confirm this?).  UNH booked alot of ECAC games this year and the fact
that the ECAC is doing well only helps the UNH case.  I think the win at
Wisconsin and the victory over then-#7 CC demonstrated that UNH can compete
against the West and that buys some stock when doing the rankings as well.

Polls are polls, but I think BU and UNH are within a spot of where they should
be.  When you look at the top ten, what teams that are behind BU and UNH
really deserve to be ahead of them?  Clarkson looks a little low to me, but
they have around 9 losses, right?  Those 9 or so losses were not all to teams
in the top ten, so there's the hurt.  Looking at UNH's upcoming schedule, you
put three more losses on the UNH record and they're hovering around 10 or 11
as well.   I just hope that doesn't happen.  With the way things have been
going in 1997, I read Dave's "The Detonator's" article last week and thought
it was going to be about teams that self-destruct.  ;)

  \_  \_  \_     Howard M. Quimby                [log in to unmask]
  \_\_\_  \_     Natural Intelligence, Inc.      Tel (617) 876-7680 x1208
  \_ \__  \_     Cambridge, MA                   Fax (617) 492-7425