ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 21:06:05 -0400
I've broken up my response to Cathy in a couple different messages to make
it easier to reply and respond to these points since my message was
mega-long (just when you thought I couldn't write anymore.. heh!)

Cathy Hart writes:

>I believe I could be found to have some credibility when it comes to my
>beliefs on defining true fans of Maine Hockey, and I also believe I am
>entitled to my opinion (Try, just try to shut me up! ;-}).

Never.  If we always agreed that would be no fun!  I just want everyone to
know that I know Cathy and I like her so my continuing this thread is my
assertion of my beliefs not an attack on her.

>I doubt my opinion truly affects the number of people joining FMH, as
Deron asserts may be the case.

Later Cathy says..
>Go ahead and be insulted all the way back to the bottom of college hockey!

Let me ask you this then.  If you took your statement which essentially
said, any fan not a member of the Friends is not a true fan of Maine hockey
and go ahead and be insulted, ran it in the BDN's "Sounding Off" column how
do you think it would be received?  Your comment is safe on this list in
that everyone here is a true fan in my opinion to put up with the kind of
mail we can churn out!  :-)  But what would the general hockey public --
the main people you single out and, as I contend, insult, with your comment
-- react to such a statement by the President of Friends of Maine Hockey
and the wife of Jack Hart, such a great Maine hockey personality?

I contend that your group or you would be looked at as elitist or at least
arrogant and you would turn off many more people than you entice.  I see
very little positive good coming from such a statement, especially when you
want to increase membership.

Anyone agree or disagree with that statement?  Let's hear some opinions!

If it means anything, I had someone write to me privately and make mention
that he was glad you were not the PR person for the group.  It just isn't a
comment that is going to make people want to join and while you are
entitled to your opinion it definately would not help FoMH gain new members.

(Elitist?  HA!  We still have a certain gentleman from Bath as a
>member!)

Very interesting.  :-)  I'm surprised he still pays given his outrage over
Shawn Walsh returning.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])