ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 15:07:21 -0400

>One question that comes to mind is, why isn't it mandatory for the players
>to get flu shots?  I imagine some of them have, but with the flu running
>through this team (Cardinal had it last week rendering him ineffective), and
>now two other players and the coach have it, it's only a matter of time
>before most players contract the flu.  Not a pretty sight.

TO:  Deron and the Maine list -

It's entirely possible that the afflicted players DID get a flu shot.
There is no guarantee that a man the age of the hockey players will NOT get
infected with the flu after the shot.  There are two reasons I know of why
this could be the case:

(1)  The "flu shot" so called is an innoculation against what the drug
company thinks will be the strain it believes will prevalent several months
after its production.  The strain at Orono could be an entirely different
strain, or a variant of the same strain in the shot which will negate the
effectiveness of the shot.
(2)  Individuals are known to over-react to the shot.  Instead of
preventing the flu, the shot itself gives you the disease.

Also, there are two other things to consider:
(a)  It ain't the flu, it's just a regular cold.  No shots out there for that.
(b)  The player refused the shot.  (see above two reasons)  The team can't
mandate a medical procedure on a player, especially something like a flu
shot.

While not a doctor, I hire nurses and buy flu vaccine each year at work.  I
believe I'm still too young to require one.

Dan Doucette              Purchasing Agent, City of Peabody, MA
UMaine 78 MPA 80

        ****** If you can read this, thank your monitor *******
                   Dan Doucette - [log in to unmask]