ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 22:55:33 -0400
On  1 Aug 96 at 17:39, BRIAN HODGE wrote:

> thanx for posting the actual rules. do you interpret them that any
> player may move without penalty- not necessarily a senior.pls advise

Hi Brian,

Good question, this is something everyone needs to understand.

The "exemptions" Mike listed only apply to those student athletes who
attend a school where their remaining eligibility will be effected by
post-season sanction.

In this case, only Maine seniors are affected.  FYI those players
are:

Dan Shermerhorn, f
Tim Lovell, f
Blair Allison, g
Reg Cardinal, f
Jeff Tory, d
Jason Mansoff, d
Trevor Roenick, f
Brad Mahoney, f

Jamie Thompson would have been a senior but he left school well
before this all came out.

So what happens now is Maine seniors can be recruited by other
schools, without them receiving permission from UMaine, and they can
transfer without having to sit out a year.

Now if any sophomores or juniors wanted to transfer, they'd be
subject to normal NCAA guidelines and be forced to sit out a year.
Other insitutions can also not recruit these players without
permission from UMaine.

Maine's appeal of the post-season sanction makes things interesting
because players must take a gamble.  I'm sure most, if not all of
these players, would like to go to the NCAA's under Maine but I'm not
sure the good players will take the chance if a contender recruits
them.  It is a gamble because while waiting might pay off, it might
not too.

One question I have is how does this affect incoming freshman, if at
all?  Meaning if a player has signed a letter of intent to play for
UMaine and chooses to transfer is he subject to having to sit out a
year?
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine