ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 16:45:45 -0500
> Since no one seems to have come to his defense, perhaps he had a bad
> night?

No, I'm just a little slow getting to this mailbox...

I think Dave pretty much covered it from the unbiased view, but I'll throw in
my thoughts as a biased UNH observer.  I wouldn't have called the penalty shot
and was surprised when Cole awarded it.  However, I also wouldn't have called
a major and game misconduct for Gagnon's hit on Cardinal.  Now these aren't
the same penalties, but both were good opportunities to pick up a goal (or in
Maine's case, as many as they could get in 5 minutes).  I think this is more
of an issue because UNH made the most of their opportunity while Maine failed
to convert.

Did Cole have a perfect night behind the whistle?  No, a ref never does, but I
don't think it impacted the outcome.  Both teams got away with penalties that
were not called and like every other game it all evened out in the end.

As far as the two 10-minute misconducts -- Good calls.  And I laughed when I
read Cronin's comments about the swearing!  The Maine players were letting the
expletives fly freely at Cole all night and Cronin knows it.  Did they swear
at Frank to get the misconducts?  I don't even think it matters -- you abuse
the ref, you take a seat.  It's quite a simple concept, really.

 Howard Quimby - [log in to unmask]             |\                ( )
 Natural Intelligence, Inc.            _________|_\_________________________
 Tel  617.876.7680 x1208                       -----              -_-_
 Fax  617.492.7425                                               -- - -