ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Vic Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 18:35:03 -0400
Saturday night three Hockey Moms in Maine jerseys entered the Target Center
for the BU vs MN Face-Off in Minneapolis.
I was one of them.
Despite, traitorous looks and "aren't you at the wrong game" and "can you
guys play because of those sanctions," comments we made our way safely to our
seats.
The Gophers faced off in front of a home crowd of 17,000. They  witnessed BU
steam-roller over their boys, three/zip first period. Seemingly nervous,
first night jitters caught the highly tauted Gophs who were projected to win
this game 5-3 fall short. The second period saw a Gopher emergence of fire
power which answered back but came up short in the third, giving up their
first game to BU 4-3.
 What urks me is there is no headliner of this on College Hockey Online (
like CC dropped their first game and that's headlined) or nothing and I say
nothing in our Sunday issue  of the Star Tribune, our local paper. Yet USA
Today online has an article revealing Gopher Head Coach Doug Woog bitterly
complain about the unfair scheduling they gave his team (throwing BU at them
right at the get-go, then a CC double header) What a Whuss!!
Is this media control or what! If the Gophs won there would have been a color
picture on the front of the sport's page.
The point of all this is: Maine has received the worst press, they've been
dealt some heavy blows by the NCAA and defections, yet Maine faces the
National Champs and then Lake Superior State right out of the gate ( right
out of the gate underlined). So far, Maine's coaching staff deserves credit
for not being a bunch of whimps in the press. But, more than that the players
who stuck around as well as new recruits, walks-ons and red shirts all
deserve our total support - I don't hear anyone of them bitching about facing
off against the NCAA National Champs. There all just happy to be playing and
playing for MAINE.......GO BLACK BEARS......
Vpprice