ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 08:53:58 -0400
University of Maine goaltender Blair Allison, and two time
All-American defenseman Jeff Tory, both of whom last week announced
they were staying at Maine, have changed their minds and will both
try out for the Canadian National Team next week according to today's
Bangor Daily News.

"It's probably going to look like we we're bailing on Maine, that we
have no loyality, and we don't care about Maine.  It's not like
that," Allison said.  "We both would have been happy returning to
Maine.  But this is too good of an opportunity to pass up.  We
couldn't say no."

UMaine interim coach Greg Cronin is clearly frustrated by the recent
defections from his program.  Cronin said that in past years Maine
could keep players because of the ability to play for the national
title but now Maine has lost that edge.

"I don't feel betrayed because they've been great ambassadors for the
hockey program,"  Cronin said.  "I'm just disappointed and I honestly
feel helpless."

Cronin has asked Allison and Tory to let them know of their decision
by next Wednesday.

"After three or four days, we'll know what it's like and that will
allow us to make the right decision," said Tory.  "It's almost like a
recruting trip."
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Old Town, Maine