ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
John Forsyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 1996 11:02:04 EDT
I originally sent this out last week, but it apparently never made it.
Here's attempt #2.

This is my first posting to this list, but those who read hockey-l
have probably heard more than enough from me over the years. :->

Today's decision by the NCAA hits close to home because I was,
in a number of different roles, a member of the team from 1991 to
1993 and have a ring and a lot of sweet memories from that magical
season in 1993.  I have mixed emotions about the decision.  I have been
a fan of Maine hockey since the night Martin shoveled the puck into
a mostly-empty Providence net. I have been, and shall remain, a supporter
of the student-athletes at the University of Maine. I still cheer
for my team and I still look with pride at the banner which hangs
(for now) from the rafters at the Alfond.

But, knowing some of what happened behind the scenes in Orono, I think
the penalties against the program are not as out-of-line as the
administration would have you believe.  Washington D.C. is not the
only city in which spin doctors reside.

I have also been a supporter of "President Fred" since he took
over at UM.  One of my high school instructors had him as an
instructor and said he was a very good man.  I have seen him

make changes which he believes will improve the school, even though
they aren't popular at the moment.  But I think its time for the
president to make a change and fire Shawn Walsh.  It brings me no
pleasure to say this.  Shawn was an idol, a role model.  But he
betrayed our trust and cost us all very dearly.  And as long as he
remains behind the bench, the spectre will not be exorcised,
but will hang over our heads.

I also have a problem with something Hutchinson said in the
press release which Deron just sent out.  He said that the student
athletes would "suffer from their honesty" when being questioned
by the NCAA investigators.  (I hope he means "despite" their
honesty, but thats not what he said.)  They are not being punished
for their honesty, or in spite of their honesty.  They are feeling
the punishment because of what the people in charge of the program
did when they broke rules (or ignored them...or forgot them...or
whatever spin you want to place upon it).  The bottom line is:
the rules were broken and somebody has to pay.  I wish it weren't the
athletes that felt the brunt of the punishment, but no one said life
was fair.  To send the message that they are being punished BECAUSE
of their honesty does a disservice to them, to the NCAA, to the
school and to the people of Maine.   (And I certainly hope he's
not saying the penalties would have been less had they lied...)

It would be nice if this was the end, but there is still a decision
to be made concerning our championship, the calculation of how many
games we'll have to forfeit and there is still the matter of
Shawn Walsh.  But look at it this way:  As we enter the next
millenium our probationary period will be ending, we'll have our
scholarships back and we'll be ready to regain the glory we have lost.

John Forsyth; formerly the manager of the formerly 42-1-2 hockey team
which just might become formerly NCAA champions.