ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 23:08:12 -0400
Lovell is going to UMass..

Give me a break!

In the UMass release, I'm sure you've all read it by now, Lovell said
he wanted to play post-season hockey and UMass could give him that
chance.  Great, Lovell can go to Walter Brown Arena and play in two
Hockey East Tournament games and end his career.  Wow, that's worth
missing half a hockey season for Tim great choice.

I'm sorry that this is dripping with sarcasm, but it bugs me.  Every
UMaine player is just as upset as Lovell is that they can't play in
the postseason, but for Lovell to transfer to UMass and justify it by
saying that it's to play in the postseason is ridiculous.  When
you've played in an NCAA title game like Lovell has, you mean to tell
me that two or three HEA playoff games justifies leaving your
teammates, and the school and coach that made you who you are?

Sure UMass has the chance to win Hockey East and go to the NCAA's,
every school has that.  But realistically speaking, UMass isn't going
to be a favorite for even home ice next year.

I can't figure this move out, but the one thing that seems clear to
me is that Lovell wanted to be somewhere other than Maine.  He was
the first one rumored to be going elsewhere, and really the only
public rumor about a transfer.  This seems strange to me, considering
that Greg Cronin made him a captain in light of several other
talented seniors.

Lovell is going to help UMass, but he's not going to help them do
anything spectacular in half a season.  In case you missed it the
NCAA says he needs to sit out half the year because of the transfer
of credits.. whatever.  The point is UMass will be a preseason #7,
#8 or #9 team in Hockey East next year, and Lovell, while talented,
is not going to make that big of an impact from December on.

Going a step farther here, is Lovell helping his pro potential by
transfering to UMass and missing half a season?  I don't think so.
I'm sorry, but even though Maine is missing the postseason, if he
leads them in scoring that's an accomplishment and something to sell
to the pros.  More scouts will still be coming to Maine than to UMass
next year.  Now he'll star for half a season at a school in the lower
part of their league, leaving a school that potentially might be one
of the top 5 in the nation.

Greg Cronin talked about loyalty to the program, and how players
should be loyal to UMaine and the hockey team.  I do agree with
him to a certain degree.  If a player had a chance to transfer to BU,
or BC or Michigan, or another top school I'd help them pack because
it's a great chance for them.  The big blow to these guys is the
postseason, that's what they came to Maine for and that's what Maine
has been all about for years.  But to transfer to UMass after all
Maine did for Lovell is a slap in our face as fans, and if for no
other reason I hope Maine wins their appeal just to spite Lovell.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Old Town, Maine
ME-HOCKEY Administrator