ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 10:41:44 EST
Here is my US College Hockey Online preview of this weekend's Black Bear
games.  The full slate of Hockey East contests are previewed at the "News
and Articles" page at the site:

                http://www.uscollegehockey.com

Northeastern (1-3-0, 0-2-0 HE) at #10 Maine (4-1-0, 0-0-0 HE)
Friday & Saturday, 7 p.m., Alfond Arena, Orono, ME

"We've got a tough stretch here," said coach Bruce Crowder. "In three
weeks we play series against UNH, Maine, and BU." The Huskies suffered
two lopsided losses to New Hampshire, 7-3 and 9-4, to open the
six-game gauntlet. They did, however, have the Wildcats knotted at 2-2
early in the third period before UNH blew the game open.

"A month from now," said Crowder, "we'll eliminate a few of these mistakes
and maybe the score is 5-3 instead. Two months from now, maybe it's
3-3. And three months from now, we're winning these games. That's our
outlook for this year."

Freshman Marc Robitaille has played well in the Husky nets, but Crowder
pulled him midway through the Saturday game to get a look at Kevin
Noke, a returning goaltender who hadn't seen any significant time in past
years. Robitaille is still expected to see the bulk of the netminding duties.

Maine swept Division II champs University of Alabama-Huntsville last
weekend, 7-2 and 5-1.

"We went into last week a decided favorite," said coach Greg Cronin. "We
were more interested in looking at personnel and special teams than
anything else. We won the two games and met those goals. We scored
on six of our 10 power-play opportunities and only gave up one goal in
11 short-handed situations. I was pleased with that.

"I was especially pleased," he continued, "with the play of Dan
Shermerhorn, who has been our best forward all year, and Steve Kariya,
who played very well. Jason Mansoff really stepped it up on defense as
well."

Scott Parmentier sat out last weekend with a bad back, but is expected to
return against Northeastern. Jason Vitorino, out with a leg injury, is
doubtful.

This looks like a long weekend for the Huskies.

PICK: Maine 5-2 and 7-4.

Dave Hendrickson   [log in to unmask]
Hockey East writer for US College Hockey Online
        http://www.uscollegehockey.com