ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:15:28 EST

> At 11:06 AM 1/20/97 EST, Dave Hendrickson wrote:
>
> >What Cronin said was that unless the goaltending improved, they were no
> >better than a .500 team.  If if got a lot better, they could do quite well.
> >There's a major difference between that and a blanket .500 pronouncement.
>
> I recall hearing a blanket statement though!  :-)
>
> I don't know where, Dave, your articles or elsewhere.  I know that Cronin
> said that he hoped Walsh could get the team winning but doubted they would
> be much over .500.

It was out of my feature on Cronin.  Here it is:

Although he sees Maine as no better than .500 this year without better
goaltending, Cronin said, "I hope Shawn does [turn it around] for his sake,
and even more importantly, for the players' sake.  If Shawn does well
and the program does well, then the players are happy and that's the most
important thing in college athletics.

Cronin elaborated further in the interview about the .500 prediction but the
original feature was 11 pages long and I had to trim somewhere.  (One thing
about Cronin was that he gave writers *lots* to work with.)  So it got
condensed to the leading sentence above.

If any of you are interested, you can come over my house, we'll listen to
the tapes and drink some (wink, wink) Ovaltine.  :-)

Dave Hendrickson   [log in to unmask]
Hockey East writer for US College Hockey Online
        http://www.uscollegehockey.com