ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:06:29 EST

> Dave Hendrickson wrote:
> >
> > Where BU is the strongest is on defense.  Most of the defenses around
> > the league are younger this year and show that inexperience.  BU's
> > blueliners are the only group in Hockey East that I'd consider "strong"
> > this year.
> >

> I'm not sure that BU's defense is "strong".  It may be the best part
> of their team this year but overall I think they (like UNH) is
> overrated (as reflected by the College Hockey polls).  I'm not saying
> they are not quality teams - they are.  I just don't think they are
> deserving of the 2 and 5 rankings respecitively in the USCHO poll.
> Why?  BU and UNH have both been handled pretty well by the ECAC teams,
> specifically Clarkson and Vermont, who have beaten them both.  I think
> the CCHA and ECAC teams are stronger overall and should be rated a
> little higher in the polls.  I don't think BU and UNH should be
> rewarded for preying on the weaker Hockey East teams.
>
> I also would throw out the fact that BU has been tied by a very so-so
> Merrimack team and a so-so BC team while UNH has had its recent woes.

First, let me clarify what I mean by "strong."  I'm talking about a group
that is predominantly experienced and has both offensive and defensive
strength.  While almost all of Hockey East has been breaking in a lot of
freshmen on the blueline, BU's experienced group has only had to break in
Tom Poti.  He may not wind up the league Rookie of the Year, but I'd wager
that if coaches could take any one freshman and have him for four years,
it would be near unanimous for Poti.  He'd certainly be my pick.  That's no
disrespect to any of the other candidates out there, of course.

BU's blue line also has All-American Jon Coleman, Chris Kelleher, and a very
underrated Shane Johnson.  Jeff Kealty, who appeared to be a
washout last year despite his first-round draft pick status, has picked up
his play considerably this year.  Then Dan Ronan fills out a top six that
to my mind is the best in the league.  That's a very solid group.

Not to get off on a tangent, but Maine's defense really seems to be coming on
this year...

Now, as for BU and UNH in the ratings...

BU did get beat by some ECAC teams, but look at when that happened.  In games
without Dan LaCouture and Tommi Degerman they went 2-3-2.  In games where
they've had one of the two, they are 11-1-3.  There is no discounting how
serious a blow LaCouture's departure was to BU.  After that spell I publicly
speculated that BU might not make the Hockey East finals.

If you combine their strong defense with the offensive depth they now have,
you have a very formidable package.

As for their game against Vermont, that game amounted to the Tim Thomas
show.  BU outplayed Vermont, but Thomas stole it for the Catamounts.  It's
still a win for UVM, but it's not too shabby of a loss for BU considering
that it's the only one they've had with LaCouture or Degerman.

I should mention that I do think Vermont and Clarkson are probably
deserving of more respect in the polls than they are getting.  I don't agree
that the CCHA deserves higher rankings in the polls.  They already have four
teams in the USCHO Top 10.  What undeserving team is being left out?

As for UNH, prior to their recent slump they beat Vermont and Colorado
College among other non-Hockey East teams.  They aren't playing like a
number five team right now, but they were playing like a number two team
earlier and it should all work out in the end.

Take care.

Dave Hendrickson   [log in to unmask]
Hockey East writer for US College Hockey Online
        http://www.uscollegehockey.com