ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Urton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:46:57 -0400
For IMMEDIATE RELEASE             CONTACT: Lee Urton, Media Relations
September 20, 1996                U.S. College Hockey Online
                                  PHONE: (612) 379-7555
                                  FAX: (612) 379-7733
                                  EMAIL: [log in to unmask]

          *** U.S. COLLEGE HOCKEY ONLINE DEBUTS ***
    ALLIED WITH TV'S COLLEGE HOCKEY USA & TOP JOURNALISTS

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn., Sept. 19 - U.S. College Hockey Online (USCHO),
the World Wide Web's newest college hockey resource, debuts today,
promising to be the premiere source of timely college
hockey information for media and fans alike.

U.S. College Hockey Online supersedes the successful and respected
College Hockey Home Page.  USCHO's expanded resources include
timely news and features; standings, schedules, scores, and
information for every Division I school and conference; and
alliances with major audio/visual media from around the nation.
The Web site is free of charge and accessible to anyone with
Internet access and a World Wide Web browser, at the address:

             http://www.uscollegehockey.com

COLLEGE HOCKEY USA, JIM RICH, & FRANK MAZZOCCO FEATURED

U.S. College Hockey Online is also the home of the official Web
site for College Hockey USA, the national weekly television show
dedicated to recapping the week in college hockey.

"I have been very careful of what organizations I have
allowed our show to be associated with," said College Hockey
USA anchor and headman Jim Rich.  "I really like the work
and effort U.S. College Hockey Online has done to make
themselves the best site on the Internet for college hockey.

"I think this is something that is sorely needed for the
fans of college hockey across the country," Rich added.  "I
make covering the sport my job, and sometimes it takes me a
couple of days to find out who beat who.  Now with this service,
people can instantly find out what's happening."

Rich will write a weekly column for U.S. College Hockey
Online, "Ask Jim Rich."  Readers will be able to submit questions
to Rich, with several to be selected and answered in the column.
The site will also contain the weekly CHUSA Top Ten poll and other
information dealing with the show.  The link between the television
show and the Web site is believed to be the first of its kind in the
world of college hockey.

Along with Rich, Midwest Sports Channel hockey broadcaster
Frank Mazzocco also joins the U.S. College Hockey Online staff.

"I'm thrilled to be a part of this Web site, which is one of
the best uses of the Internet anywhere," Mazzocco said.
"College hockey fans, myself included, are devoted to the
sport and crave up-to-date information. This is where it
will be."

Mazzocco will preview and review the top games in Division I
hockey in a special "Game of the Week" section.

"By designating a national game of the week, we're helping
to elevate college hockey to a coast-to-coast sport,"
Mazzocco continued.  "There are many marvelous players and
exciting teams in the country.  When fans get out of their
regional shells and experience other leagues, teams and
players, they realize how truly grand and colorful the
sport is.  That's the excitement we want to capture and
convey."

USCHO is also proud to present Around the Rinks, the nation's
first and only national college hockey talk show. Host Adam
Wodon, play-by-play announcer for Princeton University and
longtime freelance writer in the ECAC, presents this
innovative 30-minute program each week over the Internet using
RealAudio technology.  The show debuts on September 23rd.

Around the Rinks discusses topics that cannot be heard on
any other national talk show.  Listeners will hear firsthand
from the top people in college hockey, using a format that
enables people from around the globe to hear the show whenever
they please.

"I often hear the frustrations of displaced alumni who can't hear
games on the radio or get scores on local television, let alone the
discussion of news and issues," said Wodon.  "College hockey fans
are probably the most net-aware sports fans already, partly because
they have to be. We hope to reach them and everyone else, and expand
on that."

ALL THE BASES COVERED

U.S. College Hockey Online will also feature extensive regional
coverage of all four major Division I hockey conferences by
experienced correspondents located in the regions they cover.

Reporting on the CCHA is Kirk Koennecke, former Miami and Ohio
State assistant coach.

"This is a wonderful opportunity for online members to read
about their favorite teams from the perspective of a beat
writer who is covering their own favorite turf," Koennecke
said.  "There are a myriad of occurrences which decide the
fate of your average Division I hockey team.  As a writer, I
want to bring those subtleties to light for the fans, as well
as the critics."

University of Wisconsin-River Falls Sports Information
Director Jim Thies provides coverage of the WCHA, longtime
Rensselaer radio voice Jayson Moy watches the ECAC, and
freelance writer Dave Hendrickson brings in-depth analysis of
Hockey East.  The debut of USCHO features an interview by
Hendrickson with newly departed Boston University
All-American Chris O'Sullivan.

Each writer will produce a weekly preview of his respective
conference, and every other week he will add a feature
article on some aspect of college hockey.  Each week, there
will be both a Western and an Eastern conference feature
available at midweek.

In addition to the conference coverage, U.S. College Hockey
Online will also cover the latest breaking news in the sport.

"This is where the online medium is most successful," said
Deron Treadwell, editor of U.S. College Hockey Online.  "We
plan to have news, previews and articles available in a timely
and convenient fashion."

SCORES, STATISTICS AND SCHEDULES

Through U.S. College Hockey Online, followers of the sport will
have immediate access to all the statistics and scores available
from across the nation.

Individual team schedules and conference standings will be
automatically updated with the most recent scores available.
USCHO's front page will feature a score ticker containing the
latest results.  The site will also contain an easily accessible,
comprehensive listing of Division I college hockey television
broadcasts.  Visitors will find updated team and conference
statistics, box scores, and other information.

History will be an important part of the site's offering; USCHO
will provide immediate access to all Division I conference
standings going back to 1986-87.

NEW HEIGHTS

With U.S. College Hockey Online, the creators of the former
College Hockey Home Page take coverage of college hockey to
new heights.

The College Hockey Home Page debuted in 1995 under the management of
Tim Brule and Lee Urton and quickly became one of the top sources of
information for followers of college hockey.  Brule and Urton, who will
serve respectively as owner and media relations contact of USCHO and
are joined by Mike Machnik on technical support, have brought
together a number of well-respected college hockey journalists
from across the country to ensure USCHO's success.

"We're very excited about the debut of U.S. College Hockey Online
and the opportunity to bring to the college hockey community a new
way for people to follow their favorite sport," said Brule.  "We
hope people will check back regularly to stay up on the latest
news and to discover the new things we have planned."

                           - 30 -

INFO-HOCKEY-L is for information only;  send any discussion of this
article to [log in to unmask], The College Hockey Discussion List.