ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 19:03:45 -0400
This release came out of here a few minutes ago. The first Black Bear has
left the den.

August 29, 1996
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TIM LOVELL JOINS UMASS HOCKEY TEAM

AMHERST, MA -- University of Massachusetts men's hockey coach Joe Mallen
announced today that forward Tim Lovell (Norwood, Mass.) intends to
transfer to UMass.  Lovell previously attended the University of Maine
where he was an All-Hockey East selection last season.

"I'm extremely pleased at the prospect of adding a player of Tim's
caliber to our team," said Mallen.  "He is a Massachusetts guy, and I
think this will be beneficial to both Tim and UMass.  Tim will add a new
dimension of skill and experience to our team, and he will continue to
pursue his degree in education in our nationally ranked Education
Department."

Lovell, who will be a senior this fall, was a 1996 preseason and
postseason All-Hockey East pick last season, finishing fourth on the
Black Bears in scoring with 40 points (21 goals, 19 assists).  He was
also seventh in the conference in points in conference games with 32.
Lovell had his best season to date in 1994-95 when he finished second on
the team in scoring with 48 points (25 goals, 23 assists).  That same
year, Lovell was named MVP of the NCAA East Regional when Maine reached
the national championship game.

"It wasn't an easy decision for me to leave Maine," said Lovell.  "I
still have a lot of friends there, and I wish the program the best.  But
I also wanted another chance to play postseason hockey and UMass gives me
that chance.  Besides that, the School of Education at UMass has a great
reputation, and I'm looking forward to finishing my academic career there."

Lovell joins a talented group of forwards for the Minutemen that includes
senior co-captains Rob Bonneau (Springfield, Mass.) and Tom Perry
(Humboldt, Sask.), as well as senior Warren Norris (St. John's,
Newfoundland).  He will be eligible to play his first game for the
Minutemen on December 27th against Rensselaer in the RPI Invitational.
Because of NCAA rules regarding transfer credits, Lovell will not be able
to play until the completion of the fall semester, but will be able to
practice.  He has the option of playing in the second half of the year or
sitting out this season and playing a full year in 1996-97.

The Minutemen open their regular season on October 25th when they travel
to UMass-Lowell to face the River Hawks.  Last season, UMass finished
with a 10-19-6 record and finished eighth in Hockey East in just its
second season in the league.

-UM-

Leigh

INFO-HOCKEY-L is for information only;  send any discussion of this
article to [log in to unmask], The College Hockey Discussion List.