ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 19:23:28 -0500
At 07:05 PM 11/12/96 -0500, Frank Brickelmaier Jr wrote:

>1) Has the number 10 ranking gone to their heads ?

I don't think so, but I can't speak for the number of freshmen on the team.
Maine has 11 freshmen on the roster and 7 sophomores.  They are extremely
young, but remember that the juniors and seniors have all been to the NCAA
title game and likely aren't giddy over a #10 ranking.

>2) Was Cronin out coached ?

I don't know about this.  Certainly Bruce Crowder is a great coach, probably
on just about everyone's top five list.  There are some instances you could
pin on coaching IMHO, like how focused the team is, etc, but what it boils
down to is when you take 85 shots on goal in two games, you've got to score
more than five goals.

The defense is solid right now, and if Maine can find the offense they had
at Lake Superior State, they are going to do well.  Right now they are in a
slump and it will take a solid win to snap them out of it.

>Hearing that Brad Mahoney scored the winning goal, I was wondering what his
>stats were at Maine ? (I dont remember him scoring last year)

Mahoney was 1-3--4 at Maine last year.

>Is whether a student-athlete on scholarship or not, public or private
>information?  I was wondering whether part of the reason Brad Mahoney left
>Maine was that Northeastern gave him a full scholarship while Maine didn't?

It's possible since Mahoney was primarily a fourth line player at Maine that
he was not on scholarship.  But he's also from Mass, so he could have not
got a scholarship at Northeastern and perhaps made it cheaper if
Northeastern gives breaks for in-state students.

I would think that Mahoney's decision was more for playing time than
anything.  You can't argue that he helped his position by transferring.  Now
he plays a regular shift and is an asst. captain, where at Maine he might
not have been in the lineup everynight.

Ironic isn't it that the man that many said might not make the team beats them.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])