ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:00:55 -0400
When things "count", what really really matters in terms of Maine (or any
other NC$$ squad) in the run-up to the Round of 16 is PWR.

Of the two CCCC games slated this upcoming season, one will count toward
PWR, the other will not.  The U-18 game is exhibition and will not count in
PWR.  Providence will.

Providence is perhaps the toughest opponent they have scheduled in Portland
for some time, I do understand your concerns where intensity of the Black
Bears in-game may be proportional to fan enthusiasm from the stands.
However, the players need to suck it up and give 100 % no matter what the
venue.

If necessary, Coach can consider it a road game and motivate the squad the
same way he would when it is any other game away from the friendly confines.

However, the benefits to having the game there to the loyal Maine supporters
down state surely outweigh the possible lack of intensity on the players'
part.

My prediction, U-18 will not sell out, but Providence will.  OK, U-18 might
sell every ticket, but some fans will arrive dressed up as empty seats.

Parallel thread on this topic also on USCHO, FWIW.

BTW, was there any better opponent name against Maine than the former Friar
Lyle Wildgoose ?