ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 13:53:25 EST
Here is my preview of Maine's upcoming series.  You can check out the
preview of all the Hockey East games by going to the "News and Articles"
section at:

        http://www.uscollegehockey.com

UMass-Lowell (5-3-0, 3-3-0 HE) at Maine (4-4-1, 0-3-1 HE)
Friday and Saturday, 7 p.m., Alfond Arena, Orono, ME

New Hampshire swept Maine 6-3 and 6-5.

"I thought the key on Friday night," said coach Greg Cronin, "was when
Reg Cardinal had Brian LaRochelle down-and-out and couldn't put it away
to make it a 3-0 lead. And even though they scored the five goals, I
thought the scoring chances were fairly even. UNH really scored some
poor goals. Give them credit, they worked hard, but those goals shouldn't
have gone in."

Goalie Alfie Michaud struggled. All Maine's goaltending eggs are in
Michaud's basket and right now that's looking like trouble.

"It's unusual to watch a Maine goalie flopping around like a fish in the
crease," said Cronin. "It's not our style of goaltending.... I just want him to
go out and play standup goaltending. Because if we're going to do anything
this year, we're going to have to ride his shoulders to some degree."

"Saturday was a good college hockey game," he said. "They went up 4-2
in the first period, but we came back and went ahead in the third. We killed
a five-on-three, but in the end they won on a power-play goal with a little
over two minutes left in the game. Personally, I thought the penalty was a
bad call. It looked fairly innocent to me."

If Maine can't stop the bleeding now against UMass-Lowell, they are
heading for disaster. Maine plays Lowell their next three games, two this
weekend in Orono, and one to open the Governor's Cup. After that, it's
either Vermont or UNH followed by two against Boston College.

"Unfortunately, we're only skating 12 scholarships right now," said Cronin.
"The NCAA cut us back to 16 and then we had the four guys leave so late
we couldn't fill their spots."

Injuries have depleted that scant figure even more. Jason Mansoff
(infected elbow) and Scott Parmentier (bad back) lead the list of Black
Bears on the shelf. Their return date is not yet known.

"My expectations are certainly lower than they were three weeks ago. It
feels like we're down to our last player.

Tim Whitehead has obviously done a great job at Lowell," Cronin
continued. "They were picked last but they are showing a lot of character.
And they've got great depth at goaltender."

Lowell and Marty Fillion shut out Rensselaer 3-0 in a mid-week matchup
before traveling to Army. Against the Cadets, they built a 3-0 lead after
two and then hung on for a 4-3 win. Scott Fankhouser saw his first action
in the nets since Fillion's return.

"It's always a great challenge to face Maine up there," said coach Tim
Whitehead. "They have a great atmosphere for a college game. After their
last couple of weekends, they'll be playing really hungry. We'll have to
match their intensity and work as hard as they do."

Look for the Fillion-Michaud matchup to trigger a UMass-Lowell sweep.

PICK: UMass-Lowell 4-3 and 3-2.

Dave Hendrickson   [log in to unmask]
Hockey East writer for US College Hockey Online
        http://www.uscollegehockey.com