ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 22:56:39 -0400
At 7:23 PM -0500 11/14/96, Deron Treadwell wrote:
> Maine's going to like the spacious confines of Whittemore Center, but then
> again, so does UNH!

I haven't figured out what UNH's record is at the Whitt, but at least
lately, UNH seems to have had some trouble on the big ice.  The losses to
Vermont and Colgate, one-goal win over Union (and getting outshot), two
tight games on UMass's big surface, etc. - last year I recall that
Merrimack beat UNH at the Whitt and in March was 2-2 in the final minute of
the game (last one of the season) before UNH eked out a win.  UNH and UMass
also tied twice last year, once at each team's rink.

I'm wondering whether it is because the opponents are able to take
advantage of the big surface as much as UNH does, because UNH's defense
isn't as good as its offense.  Or maybe something else, i.e. some of these
teams (Union, Merrimack, UMass) may not be as talented but will check you
hard, even on the big ice.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****