JOEBOX-L Archives

Joebox User

JOEBOX-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Andrew Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joebox User <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 11:03:31 -0400
A few people have asked for details on what the new upgrade contains.  I
had thought there was a post on this list in the past covering that,
however looking back I didn't find one so I'll cover it here.  The
majority of changes center around MECguard, the web filtering component.
This is a significant overhaul of that software, and the way HTTPS
filtering is handled is vastly improved, among other changes.  Details of
the changes to that component are available here:
http://www.networkmaine.net/msln/joebox/MECguard_SSL-15.0.pdf.  In
addition to the MECguard improvements, there are some kernel-level changes
to improve performance for high-bandwidth and high-user-count sites.
Finally, there are a few minor changes to the function of the user
interface to prevent firewall problems that some people were running into.

Overall these changes will primarily benefit sites who use MECguard for
filtering (which is the vast majority of Joebox users), however even sites
not making use of MECguard will see stability and performance
improvements, especially sites with a large number of hosts behind the
Joebox.  Moreover, all Joebox users will benefit from the modest UI
changes to improve stability.  If you have any additional questions
regarding this update, please contact the helpdesk and we'd be happy to
answer them.

Thanks.

--
Andrew W. Henry