JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Gawler, Susan C." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:03:01 -0400
Hi all--

I forwarded Pat's and Tom's questions on to Roy Bouchard at DEP, who is in
charge of the invasive aquatic plants program initiated this past summer
(some of you know I'm also married to him!)  His replies are below.  From my
soapbox, I'll add that this milfoil initiative is a very important project--
if any JBS folks want to help out next summer, there's a need for volunteers
to help with boat checks or as resources to help identify aquatic plants.
For more information or to volunteer, check the DEP website Roy mentions, or
get in touch with him directly.
Thanks!
Sue Gawler

Variable watermilfoil  etc. does refer to M. heterophyllum, and it has been
positively identified from all the sites listed on our website (
www.mainedep.com   ) .

Generally this had been done by a "real botanist" (such as B. Hellquist or
Don Cameron) or by knowledgeable "amateurs" (yours truly, Scott Williams of
VLMP  etc.)  These ID's are , and based on flowers and/or fruits.

The milfoil at Crystal Lake incident was not confirmed as M. spicatum 100%,
as there were no flowers etc.  Givent the recent origin of the boat and the
fact theat  the last immersion was in a lake infested with spicatum (and no
other extensive growths of other milfoils)  the assumption was made that it
was spicatum.  We were careful to tell everyone that it was likely but not
confirmed.

As far as aircraft as vectors: Yes aircraft are one of several other vectors
which we have not had time to address,.  We assume they are a relativley
minor threat, but have potential to transport biological material to distant
waters, some of which are not often frequented by boats... the prime vector
for movement of plant matirial in this case.

see the website below for more on various vectors

http://152.119.239.10/docimages/p56/119638.pdf

Roy Bouchard
ME DEP Lake Assessment Section
SHS 17, Augusta, ME  04333