JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

"Thomas F. Vining" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:46:43 -0500
Arthur Haines has asked me a question that I will pass on to you. He is
working on a very big project that will culminate in a book and a linked web
site, and he would like suggestions for a title of that book. The manual
will cover all the higher plants (i.e., no "bryophytes" and no algae) that
grow without cultivation in New England. He is carefully critiquing
distribution records by reviewing herbarium specimens and is bringing in
expertise from Flora of North America contributors. Also, he is developing a
web site that will include a current (and, of course, updatable) checklist,
plant images, and discussion of taxonomic issues. This will be the first
flora of our region that will be enhanced by online material, thereby
preventing it from being out-of-date even before it is published.

Books that cover our area all seem to have pretty much the same name--Flora
of New England (Seymour, 1982), Flora of Northeastern North American and
Adjacent Canada (Gleason and Cronquist, 1991), and Flora of the Northeast
(Magee and Ahles, 1999). The manual Arthur is preparing will stand out (and
above) these works and deserves a title that does also.

Some possibilities are:
   A Tracheophyte Flora of New England
   New England Flora
   Flora Novae Angliae [Latin for "Flora of New England"]
   Flora of New England [English for "Flora of New England"]

Arthur would like your input. Pick one of the above titles or come up with a
name of your own. A title is important, not just to get people to look
inside a book, but because it says something about the quality and scope of
the contents. Here is your opportunity to help with the title of a book.

Please respond directly to Arthur ([log in to unmask]) and not to this JBS
list.

Thanks,
Tom

Thomas F. Vining