JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Theresa Kerchner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 04:53:26 -0700
Hello all at JBS.. here is our annual Lyceum  schedule first --pirst program is this Thursday.
Thinking spring.

Theresa Kerchner, Krnnebec Land Trust

Kennebec Land Trust’s 2011 Lyceum Series:
New England Nature Writers on the Land

Co-sponsored
by Colby College

The Kennebec Land Trust recently announced its ninth Lyceum series,  New England Nature Writers on the Land. In March and April programs, authors Robert Kimber, Jane Brox, and John Elder will celebrate and explore people’s relationships to the natural world and the land. Field programs and hikes on KLT conservation lands in April, May, and September including a workshop for school teachers, will focus on these timely themes.

Wilderness Lost, Wilderness Regained
Thursday, March 17, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Ladd Recreation Center, Wayne
Robert Kimber, Author of A Canoeist’s Sketchbook; Upcountry; Living Wild and Domestic: The Education of a Hunter-Gardener, will read from his essays on subjects as various as dogs, black flies, brook trout, and wilderness, dwelling not so much on what we have lost in the natural world but on saving, celebrating, and enjoying what we still have.

Technology and Sense of Place
Thursday, March 24, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Ladd Recreation Center, Wayne
Jane Brox, Author of Here and Nowhere Else; Clearing Land; Five Thousand Days Like This One; Brilliant: The Evolution of Artificial Light , will read from her most recent work, Brilliant: The Evolution of Artificial Light, and will talk about the way changes in technology change people's sense of place.  She'll speak specifically about the transformation of the American countryside in the 20th century  as rural electrification transformed life on the farm it also transformed the way rural people saw themselves and their place in the world.

A Party in the Woods
Loss and Celebration Under a Changing Sky
Monday, April 11, 7:00 p.m.
Olin Center, Colby College, Waterville, Maine
John Elder, Author of Reading the Mountains of Home; The Frog Run, Environmental Activist and Emeritus Professor of English and Environmental Studies at Middlebury College, will focus on sugarmaking as a chance both to register the damage to our woods from climate change and to seek a more community-based and inviting approach to environmental activism. The nineteenth-century Maine painter and abolitionist Eastman Johnson is one historical figure on whom he will focus.

For additional information: www.tklt.org  207-377-2848