JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Theresa Kerchner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 08:34:32 -0800
--- The Ledlies <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Apologies for this non botanical posting, but I am
> wondering if any of you
> have run into stone "towers" in the Maine woods.  In
> Hartford - I guess
> also in Waterford -  there is a stone "tower" atop a
> hill in an old field
> now grown in with pines. Its about 10' tall, maybe
> 3' square, and made of
> small rocks. No one seems to know how old it is - it
> looks like it must
> have been at least partially rebuilt at some point -
> or what it's purpose
> was.  Any ideas?

Pat-
I  wonder if it is a creative rock dump- maybe
children on a farm could have been looking for
something to do with all of the rocks that are usually
just left in a pile?
Happy New Year!
Theresa Kerchner