JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Theresa Kerchner <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:58:39 -0700
Hi everyone - Here are a few  thoughts about the list of native plants for buffers along lakes and streams that Merrlyn Sawyer sent along last week..thanks to all who responded!

Theresa

Hi, Theresa,

Are you familiar with the County Extension Service (UMCE) Bulletin
#2500: Gardening to Conserve Maine's Native Landscape? It is a
fantastic resource and, since it is free, a call to your local county
extension office would garner you a batch of them to hand out at your
educational display. It lists about 100 species of trees, shrubs,
vines, ground covers, perennials, and ferns that are native to Maine
and has them arranged in chart form indicating light & moisture
requirements, mature height, and comments.

Jackie

Jacquelyn Cressy
PO Box 74
Bethel, ME 04217
www.rivendellhouse.com

The list is good but the Iris, ilex, Lobelia and Rosa all prefer shady wet conditions...now good choices...what about cimicifuga racemosa, aruncus dioicus, aster macrophyllus, aster diviricatus, hydrangea arborescens?What do you mean by buffer zone? Sun shade wet / dry? Keep us posted!!Kyle Fletcher-Baker, MCN

Hi everyone -Could you please take a minute to comment on this if you have any opinions? If you could reply to Merrylyn and to me, that would be helpful.ThanksTheresa KerchnerBackground:Merrylyn Sawyer called this morning with a question about native plants for buffer strips in the Wayne region (Androscoggin Lake area, Kennebec and Androscoggin Counties). She is planning to buy native plants at Pierson's in Biddeford and have them for sale at the Great Wayne Fair in August.  This will be part of the Androscoggin Lake Improvement Corporation's (ALIC) educational display.This is the list of plants that we thought would be suitable for our area.Merrylyn Sawyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:58:58 -0700 (PDT)From: Merrylyn SawyerSubject: Plant listTo: [log in to unmask] -Thank you for your time today.  Below is a list of the plants we discussed.  I need to know if it is a bad idea to introduce any of these to the shores of Lake Androscoggin.  We !
plan to
 sell these plants at the Great Wayne Fair to encourage buffer zone plantings by our residents of the lake.  My concern is introducing species that do not already exist in this area and possibly introducing genetic stock that should not be introduced. I will be purchasing these from the Pierson Nursery in Biddeford.  Any thoughts?Thank you.

Iris versicolor
Lobelia cardinalis
Rosa palustris
Chamaedaphne calyculata