JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Alison Dibble <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:35:42 -0400
Hi Don and all online JBS members,

Greetings everyone.

Check out pp. 27-28 for the list of specimens seen by Jean Wallace Cameron,
The Orchids of Maine, 1951 (reprinted 1976) for some info on
distribution.  Jean referred to Platanthera hookeri as "very local".

I have seen what I thought was this in the Penobscot Experimental Forest in
Bradley in a midsuccessional oak stand near Blackman Stream.  It was not in
flower.  Does anyone know how to tell it from P. orbiculata when not flowering?

I have never seen large populations of this species in Maine -- where I
encounter it there seem to be at most about five plants.

Best,

Alison