JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jill Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:21:31 -0500
Hello all,

Although JBS doesn't get involved with political issues as an entity,
many JBS members are quite politically active. I believe that the Land
For Maine's Future (LMF) program has been good for Maine, and I'd like
it to continue without the proposed changes. Please read the summary of
proposed changes and do as you see fit.

Also, when I get up at about 5:30 AM, it is light enough to see my way
around the house without turning the lights on: spring is coming!

Best,
Jill Weber

There are several bills coming before the Agriculture, Conservation and
Forestry Committee of the Legislature that propose to substantially
weaken
the Land For Maine's Future Program.

The public hearing is scheduled for Monday, February 10th at 1:00 PM in
the
ACF Committee Room (Room 206) Cross State Office Building in Augusta.

I urge you to contact Committee members and/or attend the public hearing
express your concerns about these bills.

THE BILLS:
LD 92 An Act to Require Joint Standing Committee Approval for Certain
Purchases Proposed the Land for Maine's Future Program (Presented by
Rep.
Sherman of Hodgdon)  You can see the bill at:
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/billtexts/LD009201-1.asp

The bill would require legislative approval for any LMF acquisition
greater
than $250,000.  The LMF Board (made up of 5 natural resource agency
commissioners and 6 citizen members) has a 16 year track record of
making
good decisions .  Adding legislative approval would undermine this
process
and move the decisions into the political arena.

LD 94 An Act to Limit the Use of State Funds to Purchase Land or
Conservation Easements (Presented by Rep. Joy of Crystal)  You can see
the
bill at:
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/billtexts/LD009401-1.asp

This bill requires a state agency to be responsible for management and
monitoring of land and interest in land acquired under the Land for
Maine's
Future program.  It substantially weakens the "cooperating entity"
language
in LMF and requires all management responsibilities (and costs) be borne
by
the State.  The cooperating entity language was set-up to help reduce
the
management costs to the State of conserving land.

LD 176 An Act to Require the State to Hold Title to all Land and
Easements
Purchased with Land for Maine's Future Program. (Presented by Carr of
Lincoln) You can see the bill at:
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/billtexts/LD017601-1.asp

This bill requires cooperating entities (ie. trusts, municipalities)
that
receive funds for land acquisition under Land for Maine's Future Program
transfer the title of the land to the State.  The bill essentially
eliminates the "cooperating entity" language.  This component of the LMF
was
strongly supported by local land trusts and makes it possible for LMF to
fund local and regional projects.

THE ACF COMMITTEE:
Senators can be contacted at 1-800-423-6900 or 287-1540.
Representatives at 1-800-423-2900 or 287-1400.

Senators: Bruce Bryant, Chair, of Oxford; Richard Kneeland of Aroostook;
Edward Youngblood of Penobscot

Resprentatives: Linda Rogers McKee, Chair, of Wayne; Jacqueline Lundeen
of
Mars Hill; Raymond Pineau of Jay; John Piotti of Unity; Nancy Smith of
Monmouth; Rod Carr of Lincoln; Ken Honey of Boothbay; Eugene Churchill
of
Orland; Ken Fletcher of Winslow; and John Eder of Portland.

If you would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact
Chris Hamilton, Senior Policy Coordinator, Maine Coast Heritage Trust at
729-7366 or [log in to unmask]

Please pass this message on to anyone you think might be interested.

This message was sent to you by Megan Shore, Maine Land Trust
Coordinator at
Maine Coast Heritage Trust as a service of the Trust and the Maine Land
Trust Network.