JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender: - JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
From: Gale Flagg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:32:02 -0400
Hi, All, As you know I sometimes find odd looking flowers. A few days ago I saw a Corallorhiza maculata that had a crowded look at mid-inflorescence. On close inspection I discovered many flowers with two or three "lips". Some had the normal number of sepals and narrow petals plus two or three lips. Some had  only two sepals and three lips, one pointing straight up. The number of wide lips on the flowers is what made it look so crowded. No matter what the arrangement, there was only one ovary per flower. Flowers at the tip and below were normal.
            Gale Flagg