JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Sally Rooney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:13:06 -0400
Hi Alison--

The main difference between P. hookeri and P. orbiculata is the number of
bract (lets?) on the scape (P. orbiculata usually has a few and P. hookeri
usually has i tiny one at most. Also P. hookeri is usually a much shorter
plant. I double checked in Arthur and that's all he mentions. I'm winging it
from experience up in the Houlton area, where P. hookeri was more common
than P. orbiculata. I have seen orbiculata in cedar swamps, but usually I
found it in nice hardwood forests. This isn't much to go on, but Gale's info
about the wet years rings true with my observations. Sal