JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Susan Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:47:03 -0400
Greetings,
For all of you who helped me ID this plant and care about the status in
Maine, here is an update from Faye Thompson in Canada.
What level of monitoring is required at this point?
susan

Hello Susan,

Thanks so much for your offer to return to the site for us!! We have
processed the samples you sent and the results are super interesting!!
The RAPD molecular markers tell us that the individuals you sent are
triploid
individuals - that is the plants are sexually sterile but
produce more rhizome offshoots than do diploid individuals.  In my
greenhouse work I have found that triploid individuals do not produce
rhizome bulbils and flower infrequently. Since diploid - tripl     oid
populations have not previously been found we can assume that all the
individuals in your population are triploid.

With regards to the distribution of Butomus across North America - we
have
found that the frequency of diploid populations is greater in the center

of the range (Ontario, New York State, Quebec) While at the
western margins of the range triploid populations are more frequent
(Manitoba, Minnesota).  Similarly, at the eastern margins of the range
(Nova Scotia, Maine, New Brunswick) all the populations we have analyzed

have been triploid!!!!

I talked to my supervisor Chris Eckert and he said you have done
more than enough for us!!
Thanks for all your help!!  If you find any new populations or hear of
any
in other states please let us know  - I am hoping to leave these
hallowed
halls in August/September (with an M.Sc.in hand!!!) so my supervisors
e-mail is [log in to unmask]  I / we will be sure to send you
the
distribution paper whenever it materializes!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Faye

P.S. if ever in kingston, please come visit to see the ongoing projects
at
our lab. I will likely remain in Kingston instead of returning to
Newfoundland but can  likely be reached through my boyfriends store -
Black Dog Pottery which is on Queen Street!!!!

--
Susan Hayward
107 Nichols St.