JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:07:45 EDT
Ugh!  Alnus glutinosa is rampant at Quechee Gorge in Vermont.  I've seen it along the Connecticut River shore down towards Claremont, NH, too.  How appalling to hear that it is being planted elswhere!

I won't be there tomorrow, but hope you have a great meeting.
Alice

--- Matt wrote:
Is anyone familiar with Alnus glutinosa (European alder)?  Come to find
out, this plant is getting planted more and more on wetland mitigation
sites in Maine.  The plants are commonly mis-labeled as Alnus rugosa.
Whether it's intentional or not, I don't know.  There is documented
evidence that this species can become aggressive and escape cultivation.
However, I'm not aware of any instances of naturalization in Maine yet.
A notched/rounded leaf apex and resinous texture to the leaves help to
distinguish it from A. incana.  Those of us involved in wetland
mitigation planning and monitoring need to be especially aware of this
species getting thrown into the mix and to also keep our eyes open for
naturalized populations.  The DEP and Army Corps are aware of this and
have, in some instances, required the removal of this species from
mitigation sites.  I've since learned that you can't believe any label
on nursery stock or seed mixtures. This could be a good topic for
discussion tomorrow at JBS.

See folks on Saturday.

-Matt
--- end of quote ---