JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

"Cameron, Don S." <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:09:02 +0000
Hi Folks,

Robert Johnson (RobertJohnsonPaintings.com) who teaches a 2 week long drawing course at the Haystack School in Deer Isle (http://www.haystack-mtn.org/), is looking for someone familiar with Downeast plants and habitats to assist with his course.  In return for assisting with plant identification and collecting, you get free room and board, and can take the class, but there is no pay.  The course runs from July 14 - July 26.  I would consider doing it if I wasn't so busy at that time of year.  The Haystack School is something like the Humboldt Institute (Eagle Hill), nestled in a maritime spruce-fir forest, but it has the added bonus of being perched on a bluff looking out over the ocean.

From Robert:

I am looking for someone that knows the area around Deer Isle where we will be taking field trip to hike and draw. I am looking for someone that knows the ecosystems and can identify plants and animals that we might see.  Their duties will be to go with  us on our field trips and collect and identify  items for us to draw back at the studio. They will get free room and board and get to take the class in Nature Journaling. There is no pay. someone that is interested in Art and knows the natural environment is who I am looking for.    They can go to my website(RobertJohnsonPaintings.com) to see the kind of thing I will be teaching and to the Haystack Mountain School website to see a description of the course.   (email:  Robert Johnson <[log in to unmask]>)

Course Description:

Nature Drawing in Pencil and Watercolor

This workshop introduces a unique, simple method, using pencil and watercolor for taking visual notes while out in Nature. We will use very simple and portable materials-watercolor and pencil-to expand the drawings we make out in the field. The method is easy to learn, even for people without watercolor experience. Field trips will provide opportunities to draw landscapes and observe details in the beautiful environment of coastal Maine. All levels welcome. Technical Assistant needed.

ROBERT JOHNSON is a full time painter, who makes many drawing trips to natural environments in different parts of the world, where he finds inspiration to create new work. He received a BS from the University of Louisville, Kentucky, and MFA in Painting from Mills College, Oakland, California, studied with Mark Rothko, and apprenticed with Karl Knaths. Robert Johnson has taught at Penland; the Museum of Natural History, North Carolina; North Carolina Botanical Gardens; Roger Williams College, Rhode Island; Duke University Continuing Education; and NEW/Southern Arts Federation Fellowship. His work is in the collections of the Asheville Art Museum, North Carolina; Morris Museum of Art, Augusta, Georgia; and the North Carolina Museum of Natural History. robertjohnsonpaintings.com

Don Cameron, Botanist/Ecologist
Maine Natural Areas Program
#93 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0093
(phone - 207-287-8041 / fax - 207-287-8040)