From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:37:53 +0100
Deron Treadwell writes:

>-- Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I think, overall, it would have been better if he had let the teams
>> just
>> play.  There is no question in my mind that the disjointed flow of
>> the game
>> - penalties, commercials, etc. - worked to Maine's advantage.  In a
>> five-on-five game UNH has more depth and probably would have had the
>> advantage in the third period.  Of course, Michaud was playing out of
>> his
>> mind so it might not have made any difference.
>
>Interesting question of "depth" in terms of this game because "depth"
>is a relative term, depending on how you define it.
>
>50+ percent of UNH's goals came from their top line, is that depth?  I
>wouldn't say so.

Depth is more than scoring goals.  All season long UNH took down other
teams because of the skating and checking abilities of their third and
fourth lines.  They certainly did it in the two games at the Whit last
month.  I see no reason why, if Noeth had allowed the teams to play, that
UNH couldn't have done it again.

>I said before the game that if Maine held the Krog line to 2 goals or
>less that we would win the game, because I felt UNH couldn't beat Maine
>with its other 3 lines.  That's exactly what happened.  The Krog line
>produced two very good goals, but no other line helped out.

Again, UNH beat Maine twice by convincing scores just a month ago.  The two
games that Maine beat UNH, both by one goal, where not indicative of the
strength of the two teams.  In the first, at the Governors Cup back in
November, ECAC official Doiron made a mockery of the game with his
officiating (kind of like Noeth).  In the second, Maine won by one goal in
front of probably the most raucous crowd ever assembled at Alfond.

>UNH's top line was clearly tired in overtime.  I have contended since
>the end of the game that Jason Krog wins the game for UNH in overtime
>if he's not tired (i.e. lifts the puck over Michaud rather than
>allowing him to smother it).  Certainly Maine outchanced UNH in
>overtime, but Krog had the game on his stick and couldn't get it in the
>air.  Hockey is definitely a game of inches.
>
>See, I contend Maine's "depth" is what won them the championship.  The
>fact that Walsh used all four lines consistently all night (that fourth
>line ended regulation on the ice).  UNH had the better individual
>talent on the top line (who can argue with Krog, Haydar and Souza!),
>much like BC had better individual talent (Gionta, Farkas, Bellefuelle,
>Mottau, Allen, etc.), but to me depth is playing all four lines, being
>in top shape and having that be a key to success.
>
>If Maine could have kept UNH at 5-on-5 all game and declined penalties
>they would have.  If UNH had an advantage it was their forward talent
>on power play and open ice of 4-on-4, but I would not give them a
>significant advantage five-on-five.  We were joking while watching the
>game wondering if Maine could "decline" UNH penalties so we didn't have
>to kill them off!!
>
>BTW, side note.. Maine's penalty kill was 25 of 26 in the NCAA
>Tournament, which certainly was a key to victory.
>
>I'll be posting more thoughts on the championship itself later this
>week once I completely digest it!!  WAY TO GO MAINE!!!!

Deron, Maine won the game and the championship because Michaud played out
of his head in both games, pure and simple. You'll never convince me that
Maine was a better team, 5-on-5 than UNH.

Greg Ambrose
GO UNH BLUE!!!