From:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1993 11:20:22 EST
A slightly different note on the thread involving the announcements and
'cheers' associated with the end of a penaly:

At Michigan Tech, when the home team Huskies kill a penalty, the PA
announcer makes it sound as important as if MTU had just scored a goal:
"Huskies return to FULL STRENGTH!!!!!"

This is highly annoying to visiting fans; which I'm sure is exactly the
purpose.  ;-)

        I hate to admit this with Bob Gilreath and Walt Olson on the
list, but when I travel to Houghton for Wildcat-Huskie battles I'm
always struck by the more "organized" nature of Huskie fan cheering.
MTU fans have a distinctive, rhythmic clapping ritual they engage in
after every goal, and they just seem more into organized cheering.  I
think it reflects the fact that in Houghton the game is very much a
student-centered affair and is played in an on-campus building.  At
Marquette, NMU hockey is much more of a community affair.  I'd say at
least 75% of every crowd is NONstudents, maybe considerably more than
that.  And, of course, Lakeview Arena is not a campus facility (which,
financially speaking, is a matter of great frustration for our hockey
program since it means the City gets all the parking and concession
revenues on top of a very healthy rental based in part on a percentage
of the gate). Anyway, Wildcat fans make plenty of noise, and certainly
fire up the team--why else would Lakeview be one of the most dreaded
places to play in the WCHA?  But you can definitely tell the difference
in the nature of the crowds' responses to things at the two rinks.

 *  Steve Christopher, NMU  [log in to unmask] - GO CATS!             *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey National Runnerups 1979-80                 *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey Final Four 1980-81                         *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey National Champions  1990-91                *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey Final Eight 1991-92/1992-93                *
 *  CCHA League Champions 1979-80/1980-81                             *
 *  CCHA PLayoff Champions 1979-80/1980-81                            *
 *  WCHA League Champions 1990-91                                     *
 *  WCHA Playoff Champions 1988-89/1990-91/1991-92                    *