From:
Scott Monaghan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 16:13:24 -0400
> Hockey certainly didn't start out as the more physically violent game it is
> today. It evolved into it.

Ever see a clip of Gordie Howe?  How about Rocket Richard (one of the
most famous pictures in hockey history)?  Ever take a good look at the
immortal Ted Lindsey, who can always be found at the CCHA playoffs? The
game has always been physical--and to an extent, violent--but the sticks
were rarely where they are now.

> If any of you happened to watch CNN lately, you may have caught Dr. Bruce
> Perry's interview regarding violent aggressive behavior, or intent to harm
> behavior. Perry is a psychologist out of the Baylor College of Medicine and
> Texas Children's Hospital. Literally from early childhood, before the ages of
> three, to an extent (how much I have no idea) the brain is formed amazingly
> by environmental influences. He showed two brains. One was larger and one
> smaller. The case histories of both these children were opposite. One child
> was nurtured, held, talked to and loved, the other was severely abused. Guess
> who had the larger brain?

You are addressing issues FAR deeper than wearing a face mask in NCAA
play.  You may want to bring these issues to the Laura Schlesinger (sp?)
discussion list.

> According to what I read, yes. USA Hockey supports mouthguard use, and I
> believe they recommend E-Zguard mouthguards; they're also recommended by
> dentists and sports physicians. E-Z-Guard is a Minnesota based company.

USA Hockey also allows legal adults (18) to sign a waiver and take off
the mask.  OVERWHELMINGLY,  players sign to wear a half--or no--sheild.
Yes,  with some it's peer pressure,  but with most it's just a matter of
comfort and visibility--as well as respect.

> This is a whole seminar.
>
> The playing field: glass, boards, size contribute to the way the game is
> played. Yes, I agree $$$$ is the issue. Hockey is a high-velocity contact
> sport. We've topped the list for most injuries in a sport  surpassing
> football. Researchers tell us that severe injury is often independent of
> protective gear. What does that tell us?

In the words of a former collegiate coach (who shall remain nameless):
Hockey is a physical,  tough game.  If you don't like it,  go watch
ringette.

That's all I have to say about that.