College Hockey discussion list <HOCKEY-L@MAINE>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 90 08:19:31 EDT
Regarding two 25-minute halves, Bill writes:
>Are the Division III games set up this way?
>I swear I've heard of this before, and I THINK it was in connection with a
>Division III playoff game, but I'm not sure.  If this is true, what do
>Division III fans think of this setup?  Inquiring minds want to know... (or
>maybe it was high school?)

I recollect something about this in Division III, but I can't recall the
exact circumstances.  I do know that when the Soviet Selects played Team
USA (under Shawn Walsh, no less), the games were played in two 30-minute
halves (a TV concession).  By the end of the periods, the snow was so deep
that scoring was almost an impossibility.  It got very boring!  On the
good side (for the 25-minute halves) the ice seemed to deteriorate the
quickest after the 25-minute mark.  None the less, I would sure hate to
see Division I hockey go to this format!

                          - Steve
                            Brown (the goalie school :-) '82

Steve Allen-Shinn              Domain: [log in to unmask]
GE Aerospace, SCSD             UUCP:  ...!mcnc!ge-dab!sunny!shinn
Daytona Beach, FL  32115