From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 90 16:12:09 EDT
Carol writes:
>For those of you that saw the little bit of the hockey games which were
>broadcast: what do you think of the "International rule" of how they settle a
>tie to determine who wins the game, by a "shoot-out"???

Well, it's better than a coin flip, but only slightly.  I didn't see any of
the games, since I don't have access to TBS, but the shoot-outs remind me of
the penalty-kick business in the World Cup games, which I did see and which
were pretty lousy.  These things seem to place an unreasonably high emphasis
on luck.

>Personally, I think that the teams should play more than one overtime, before
>invoking the "shoot-out" rule. Actually I believe they should keep playing
>until a normally scored goal decides the contest.

Agreed.  A sudden-death multiple-overtime hockey game is often pretty
exciting, with a lot of defensive and goaltending gems.  Do international
hockey fans really demand such a quick resolution of overtime tie games?

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"Did you ever stop to think that when you go to court and face a jury, you're
 putting your life in the hands of twelve people who aren't smart enough to
 get out of jury duty?"
-- Norm Crosby