From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 22:01:07 -0500
The fish thing at UNH  started at the behest of then coach Bob Kullen in
the mid-80's.  As I have posted before, I kind of like the "tradition"
because, at least in HE, it is UNH's own.  The tossing of the fish is
highly anticipated by the fans, mostly because it means the Wildcats have
scored.

As for the fish itself, it is purchased the day of the game at a
Portsmouth, NH fish market and has probably been dead for at least a day.
My understanding is that after it is scooped up off the ice, it is donated
to a food pantry in Portsmouth.

It should be pointed out that I have never seen anything else, except for
hat trick hats, thrown on the ice at a UNH home game.  In addition, the
tradition is never taken on the road since it would obviously lead to a
delay of game penalty.

I think when people start musing about what college hockey is becoming,
they should worry more about the actual game, the clutching and grabbing,
the stick holding,etc. than some tradition which enables college hockey to
separate itself from its boring professional counterpart.

Greg Ambrose
GO UNH BLUE!!!