From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
College Hockey discussion list <HOCKEY-L@MAINE>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 90 11:32:46 EDT
Steve Philbrick responded ...
>Subject:      I disagree/agree ...
>2) Additional locker rooms and office space are more important than the
>additional seating.
>
>SP:
>You are starting to sound like an administrator.  Maybe your right, but
>you didn't back this claim with any hard statistics.  Why do they need
>more office space?  Why more locker rooms?  I thought they just built
>new locker rooms.  It is true that the players are getting bigger!!

   Stab to the heart!  AD Kevin White would get a kick out of that
   ("sound like an administrator")!

   Two adequate locker rooms were a part of the original arena.  The new
   "Team" locker room under the Dexter Lounge is large, well outfitted,
   and for the exclusive use of the Black Bear Varsity.  Whenever youth
   hockey games and tournaments are held at the arena, either one (if a
   Maine opponent is in town) or two locker rooms are available.  Since
   games are held back-to-back, at any one time four teams need the
   locker room(s).  To contrast Alfond Arena, Sockalexis Memorial Arena
   on Indian Island, 4 miles north of the campus has 8 locker rooms.
   Some area High School hockey teams try to call Alfond Arena their
   home, but do so without continuous use of a locker room.

   Right now, many people share the three tiny office spaces in the
   Alfond.  Coach Walsh shares his office with several people and
   deserves better.

   Your comments about pre-game access to tickets seem accurate to me.