From:
Ryan G Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan G Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 1994 09:38:11 -0400
> past & I wasn't paying attention.  How many states currently have (or
> plan to have) girls hockey programs?  I know there are several colleges
> that do, does anyone know how many?
>
> There was a good piece on during the Winter olympics where they interviewd
> a bunch of girls, who where playing on a frozen pond, about thier feelings
> on womans hockey becoming an Olympic event.
>
> thanks,
>  mark (who's boycott of Bud has nothing to do with Wisc., but everything
>         to do with taste)
Here is the current list of Women's College Programs as I know them.

School                               Women's    League Affiliation
Amherst College                     Club Eastern
Boston College                       ECAC *
Boston University                         Club Eastern
Bowdoin College                     ECAC *
Brown University                           ECAC, Ivy
Colby College                         ECAC
Colgate University                       Club Eastern **
Colorado College                           Club Western
University of Colorado-Boulder       Club Western
Connecticut College                     Club Eastern
University of Connecticut                 Club Eastern
Cornell University                       ECAC, Ivy
Dartmouth College                         ECAC, Ivy
Hamilton College                           Club Eastern **
Harvard University                       ECAC, Ivy
Holy Cross College                       Club Eastern
University of Illinois-Champaign           Club Western
Lake Forest College                     Club Western
University of Maine                     Club Eastern **
U-Mass Amherst                      Club Eastern
Massachusetts Inst. of Technology         Club Eastern
Middlebury College                       ECAC *
University of Minnesota             Club Western **
University of Minnesota-Duluth       Club Western
University of New Hampshire             ECAC
Northeastern University             ECAC
Ohio State University                 Club Western
University of Pennsylvania               Club Eastern
Princeton University                   ECAC, Ivy
Providence College                       ECAC
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute           Club Eastern **
Rochester Institute of Technology         ECAC
Skidmore College                           Club Eastern
St. Cloud State University               Club Western
University of Vermont                 Club Eastern
Wesleyan University                     Indep. Varsity
West Virginia University                   Club Eastern
Williams College                           Indep. Varsity
University of Wisconsin             Club Western **
University of Wisconsin-River Falls     Club Western
Yale University                     ECAC, Ivy

*       Provisional member of the ECAC for the 1994-95 Season.

**      These teams have formally requested their athletic departments for varsity
status.

IF anyone has more schools to add to the list please let me know as I am tring
to keep as up-to-date as possible.

As far as girls programs go...
Minnesota just began a girls high school league.  The eastern prep schools have
a league.  There are a few public schools in N.E. with leagues.  NY has quite a
few girls programs which AREN'T affiliated with High schools.  The Troy Area and
Glens Falls area just recently added programs.  There are some descent travel
programs in Michigan.  And I am sure there are many more areas I missed...

-Ryan Stone
        Lawrence University (Appleton, WI) '93
                Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute '93 & '95
| 424D BARH, R.P.I.     | (518) 276-7936            | e-mail:                |
| Troy, NY   12180-3590 |                     |   [log in to unmask]      |