From:
John Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1992 12:36:35 PST
> I'm kind of puzzled and even a bit exasperated at times by some (not
> all) of the NCAA-bashing that occurs here. ...

Some of the NC$$ bashing is rooted in the "Final Four" name
restriction.  Supposedly, it can only be used for the basketball
NCAA tournament.

> Now, the fact that all the proceeds from the Division I hockey
> tournament go to Divsion I schools, which means the actual hockey-
> playing members get only a tiny share of it--what, 20/130 = 15%, ...

I'm curious how the decision "School X should be a Div.{I|II|III}
athletic program" is made.  Is it based on the size of the
undergraduate body, how much money the school is spending on athletics,
arbitrary, ...?  I am also curious how many of the NC$$ poll teams are
'true' Div. I and will benefit monetarily from participating in the
tournament.

-John