Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 90 16:11:43 EDT
Carol writes:
>                    The hockey players got their medals, but none will be
> asked to join the U.S. team at a camp that starts today in Colorado Springs to
> participate in the Goodwill Games next week. That team will include mostly
> more experienced players and some minor league pros.

    Some (though few) of the players are still collegians; the ones I know of
    are Tony Amonte and David Emma (and C.J. Young may still be with Harvard).
    Amonte and Emma are two of the top forwards in college hockey.  They should
    still have been eligible for the Olympic Festival; I wonder why they
    weren't there; could be personal reasons.  But that doesn't explain
    everyone.

    I wonder just what the objective of this team is supposed to be.  Most
    of the players on this list have no chance of playing in the '92 or '94
    Games.  In fact, most of these players won't even play in next year's
    World Championships or virtually any other international tournaments.
    Look at these names.  They're former collegians, most around 25, and nowhere
    near the talent level that could have been assembled for this occasion.

    What is the point?  Why not use the Goodwill Games as another testing
    ground for international competition?  Let the top players from the USOF
    fight for spots.  This looks like another example of AHAUS's incompetency.
    Not to open another can of worms, but that's why the most talented team
    in U.S. history finished 7th at the '88 Olympics.  Until they wake up
    and begin to make a solid commitment, the U.S. effort in international
    hockey will remain a second-rate affair.

    - mike